No matter what, everyone will feel “overwhelmed” and “stressed” out over something. Stress is part of an every day life, whether it is financial, mental, physical, relationship, or work-related. Here, at A-1 Home Care Agency, we often see stress contributing to most of our seniors‘ health and even mobility–note heart attacks and strokes. Our certified trained caregivers are aware of the steps that it takes to either recover and monitor after one has a stroke and heart attack. Our twenty-four hour in-home service puts each caretaker through an extensive background check and additional tests from medication to skills set in order to place the perfect match with our senior patients.
Most of our seniors have experienced difficulty of mobility, therefore, limiting numerous of physical activities including lighter ones such as walking and yoga. However, most of our seniors have sought comfort and joy in more sit-down tasks such as reading. One of our goals is to build and maintain a working relationship amongst our caregivers and seniors and this makes it easier for many hobbies to be done together.
There are many books on stress and even anxiety management out there. Here are a few to check out and for our caretakers and seniors to read and discuss together:
- Monkey Mind: A Memoir on Anxiety — Daniel Smith
- Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence — Rick Hanson
- Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers: An Updated Guide to Stress, Stress-Related Diseases and Coping – Robert Sapolsky, Ph.D.
- Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness – John Kabat-Zinn, M.D.
- Undoing Perpetual Stress: The Missing Connection Between Depression, Anxiety and 21st Century Illness – Richard O’Connor, Ph.D.
- A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook — Bob Stahl
- The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques – Margaret Wehrenberg, Ph.D.
- Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety – Troy DuFrene
- The Worry Cure – Robert L. Leahy
- Self-Coaching: The Powerful Guide to Beat Anxiety – Joseph J. Luciani, Ph.D.